Hill Avenue's name comes from Brigadier General Henry Cecil de la Montague Hill, who commanded Harrowby Camp during the First World War, rather than from the road's steep gradient.
Several roads in the surrounding area have connections to the Machine Gun Corps, which was stationed at the camp. A post office serving the Machine Gun Corps opened in 1916 on the corner of Belton Lane and Hill Avenue. The facility handled mail from troops at Belton and Harrowby army camps and included a public telephone. It served both military personnel and civilians before its demolition in 1974.
Housing and Education Development
House building on Hill Avenue began in 1926. Parks and Son Ltd constructed 27 properties among the early developments on the street.
The Boys' Central School opened in 1926 with 476 pupils. The school eventually became co-educational and converted to comprehensive status on 5 September 1976, when it was renamed Little Gonerby Primary School.
